home photo

home photo
 

Last year a surprised Felix Bach of Germany marched away with the gold medal in this event. A year older and wiser, Bach won gold again this year continuing to add only wins to his international record. Bach did the winning in pure style taking off at the head of the field and dropping Andrew Campbell of the United States through the second 500. By the middle of the race Bach had built up a clear water lead, his strong, unconventional style working well for him.

Meanwhile a real tussle was going on between Campbell and Dionysios Angelopoulos of Greece. Angelopoulos had won his semifinal yesterday, but the times of the six qualifiers had been pretty close. Now Angelopoulos attacked Campbell and brought his boat into the second position. Campbell was unable to hold on and Angelopoulos earned a clear silver. Bach brings another gold medal to Germany. Angelopoulos races in his first Final A and wins his first medal in his third year as a junior representative and Campbell earns the first medal for the United States in the junior men’s single since 1974. 

Results: GER, GRE, USA, SVK, CZE, ITA


Felix Bach (GER) – Gold
“This morning was a bit hard because I hadn’t slept well lat night, but in the race there was nothing of this, just ’row, row, row’. This is great and the Youth Olympics will be next.”

Dionysios Angelopoulos (GRE) - Silver 
"I’m very, very happy. It was a hard race, but a very good one."

Andrew Campbell Jr (USA) - Bronze
“I think it’s the first time in a long time that an American sculler has won a medal in this event. It feels amazing. After Matthew Madamma came fourth last year no one thought we could do better. I’m glad I could serve my country well. I came into the regatta wanting to make the final, so yesterday’s race was very stressful – the semi-final – because I really wanted to make it through. I was more relaxed today but gave it all I had. I knew Felix would try and push through – I just tried to hang on.”





www.worldrowing.com

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

Σημείωση: Μόνο ένα μέλος αυτού του ιστολογίου μπορεί να αναρτήσει σχόλιο.

 
Top